Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on introducing students to open source software development. Students work on a 10 week programming project with an open source organization during their break from a post secondary academic program.
Since its inception in 2005, the program has brought together 16,000+ student participants and 13,000 mentors from over 118 countries worldwide. Google Summer of Code has produced 38,000,000+ lines of code for 715 open source organizations.
As a part of Google Summer of Code, student participants are paired with a mentor from the participating organizations, gaining exposure to real-world software development and techniques. Students have the opportunity to spend the break between their school semesters earning a stipend while working in areas related to their interests.
In turn, the participating organizations are able to identify and bring in new developers who implement new features and hopefully continue to contribute to open source even after the program is over. Most importantly, more code is created and released for the use and benefit of all.
- Must be at least 18 years old at time of registration.
- Must be enrolled in or accepted into a post secondary academic program including (but not necessarily limited to) colleges, universities, masters programs, PhD programs, undergraduate programs, licensed coding schools as of the GSoC Student Acceptance Date (May 17, 2021). Or graduation from a post secondary program between December 1, 2020 and May 17, 2021.
- Must be eligible to work in their country of residence during duration of program.
- Must be a resident of a country not currently embargoed by the United States.
- Organization Application Deadline: February 20, 2021
- Organizations Announced: March 10, 2021
- Student Application Period: March 29, 2021 – April 13, 2021
- Application Review Period: April 13, 2021 – May 17, 2021
- Student Projects Announced: May 17, 2021
- Community Bonding: May 17, 2021 – June 7, 2021
- Coding: June 7, 2021 – August 16, 2021
- Evaluations: July 12 – 16, 2021
- Students Submit Code and Final Evaluations: August 16 – 23, 2021
- Mentors Submit Final Evaluations: August 23 – 30, 2021
- Results Announced: August 31, 2021
Interested candidates can register via this page.